Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A November Winter


Yesterday, as I scurried to clean up my apartment before a group of students arrived, I gasped as I looked out and saw a full flurry of white racing past my window. The plain brick apartment that I usually see, looked more like a charming postcard picture in the snow. I ran to my front window and looked down to see that the ground was already covered in white! Though we have talked in anticipation about the snow everyday we have been in China, I was still in disbelief to see a white world in the middle of November. I couldn’t think about it long, however, because shortly after, a scurry of students arrived loaded with bags upon bags of food to cook! A few had asked me if they could cook for me, which of course, turned into a party of 13 or so!
For three hours, we scurried back and forth across the hall, cooking in 2 different kitchens. Though it was a little overwhelming, I was so impressed by my students’ teamwork and expertise as they buzzed back and forth blending dozens of ingredients and arranging their delicately designed dishes on the plates. After about three hours of preparation, we all squeezed into my tiny living room and huddled around my coffee table covered in about 11 different dishes. It felt like Thanksgiving-Chinese style! We ate it up and topped it off with some American brownies (which was a first for most of them). We laughed and joked awhile before saying goodbye. Then on to the scrubbing the literal piles of dishes and sticky floors, but it was definitely worth it.
            In the morning, I woke up to the sound of a scraping snow shovel outside my door and looked out to see a glistening winter wonderland. My teammates and I ran out for an adventure! I got transformed into a snow mermaid, played a game of snow baseball, and felt like a kid again! Unfortunately, the power and water were out for much of the day, but we cooked dinner by head-lamp-light, haha.
The snow has now been flying for nearly three days and going to class today was a whole new adventure. At first, I was careful not to slip on the ice, but alas, beware of granite! Somehow, one second after stepping through the door into the teaching building, I was wiped out on my back! Thankfully, the layers upon layers of clothing I was wearing, gave me a little cush. Though I have already begun to freak out in realizing that the snow that is on the ground now will most likely still be there, come April, I have to remember that the Father has me here to teach me new things-and this climate is definitely new! Additionally, I can hardly pity myself when I look out the window and see my students shoveling the sidewalks! Of course they inevitably start throwing snow at each other and screaming dramatically, which warms my heart. I am thankful to share this adventure with my team and new friends here. I don’t quite know what I’m in for, but He does. I am looking forward to fully experiencing my first real winter!  
 Chinese Feast!

 Walk to class!




No comments:

Post a Comment